www.flickr.com

Monday, October 09, 2006

Luis

Last Thursday night we visited an English-speaking worship service here, which is organized by some YWAM missionaries in Antigua. An older man, Pablo, whom we've seen around town quite a bit was there and he made an annoncement inviting everyone to his "foster-son's" (whose name is Luis) surprise 22nd birthday party.

I don't know the history between these two, but it's bound to be interesting. Pablo is probably in his 70's and has a British accent. During his announcement on Thursday, he said that when Luis was younger, he lived and begged on the streets in Antigua, and apparently Pablo voluntarily took on the task of becoming a foster-dad. He said that Luis' birthday isn't until December, but he (Pablo) won't be here then, so he wanted to go ahead and throw a surprise party. I think that's one good way to keep it a secret- throw the party two and a half months early.

When we arrived at the party we and one other guy were the only ones there. We assumed that more people would show up, but that did not happen. I think at its height we had 6 of us there, but when Pablo and Luis walked in for the big surprise it was just Kara, Emily, one other guy, and me. A few others showed up later, and Pablo said, "This turned out better than I thought!"

I don't know if Luis has ever had a surprise party (or any party) before, but for a while he sure looked like he didn't know what to think. But he started to get the idea when there was a table with cake, Pepsi, and gifts of shoe polish for him to use in his shoe-polishing business in the central park.

We were really glad we went. I know missionaries are busy- but I didn't understand why almost none the other folks at the service on Thursday night were there on Saturday. I wish we had a two-month-early surprise birthday party for shoe-shiners and former beggars every week.

By the way- I took this picture right before we left. I asked Luis if I could take one of him and Pablo together- he said yes, then immediately invited these girls to be in the picture. I think Luis enjoyed his party.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I found this blog really encouraging. I can't imagine how blessed Luis was but I was reminded that even simple actions that we do can have a huge impact on others. Thank you for your sacrifice to bring the hope and blessing of Christ to those who need it more than most.