www.flickr.com

Thursday, May 17, 2007

Bed Bugs

We recently moved into our new apartment and are loving it! It has been almost a year since we have really had a place of our own. After leaving Douglasville last May, we spent a month with my parents, a month with Daniel's parents, and then six months living with our host family in Antigua while we were in language school. It is so nice to now have a place where can both invite the kids over when we want to spend time with them and escape from them when we don't!

After moving in, I kept finding termite dust under the bed. I thought, "surely there are not termites in my bed!" I asked our director if she would come and look at our bed because I was afraid that it might have termites. She matter-of-factly replied, "oh, it does. That is just a way of life here. They are in everything."

The next few nights following that conversation I would lay down in bed and imagine my bed under a microscope with millions of bugs crawling around and crunching away beneath me. I kept waiting for the bed to collapse!

This gives a whole new meaning to the phrase, "don't let the bed bugs bite!"