www.flickr.com

Monday, May 28, 2007

The Most Negative Post We Will Have on This Blog

Driving on the way to our first camp in Guatemala, the three of us gringos riding in the pickup had plenty to say about the things we were not looking forward to about what was to come. Driving on the way back, I said, "Well, as bad as we were talking about it on the way here... it was that bad. Maybe worse."

I mentioned the climate before we left, and people's descriptions were true- hot (90+ degrees with 100% humidity) and mosquitos everywhere. When you combine that with the fact that the bunk beds were so small that even Kara couldn't straighten her legs in bed, you can imagine that I didn't sleep very well on the 4-inch-thick mattresses. Honestly, though, the climate was the least of my dislikes...

It's tough to tell what things about all that we did not like are just cultural differences. For example, they literally did get everyone up at 6 a.m. (after the guys in my room went to bed at about 3) and then we had an hour of fairly difficult exercise, complete with teachers yelling and blowing their whistles at people who weren't doing the exercise well. That was definitely a culture difference.

I could write about how much I did not enjoy all of the games they made me play. (I never liked camp games as a youth, never made my kids play them as a youth pastor, and then here I am having to play them now). I could write about how uncomfortable I felt being put in charge of a room full of boys I could barely communicate with, when I didn't even know what the rules were or how to enforce them. Or about how they mocked me when I tried to get them to go to bed. I could also write about the differences between what I would think of to do to minister to these kids and what we actually experienced there, but I don't see what good it would do to complain any more than I already have done here, so I will leave my descriptions vague.

One incident from the weekend kind of sums it up... One of the teachers was speaking and was getting ready to close. She asked all of us to stand. I was slow in doing so as a result of the lack of sleep and unexpectedly difficult exercise. Just as she was about to lead the kids in prayer, I took one last stretch in my chair before standing up- unfortunately the chair had even less will to keep going at that camp than I did and it broke under me. I fell to the floor with a pretty good crash, adding quite an interruption to whatever it was the teacher was saying.

I didn't take many pictures over the weekend, but I wanted to have this one.

4 comments:

kjohnsons said...

It sounds terrible! I must admit that I laughed when I saw the smashed chair. Kyle came over and asked me what I was laughing at so I told him. He looked at me with this concerned face and said, "Did he hurt himself?" So Daniel, know that your nephew was very concerned about you. :)

Franco said...

If you're breaking chairs, I can't imagine the impact I would have had on the camp facilities...

Whitney (for the rest of the Shouses) said...

I am so sorry, but I laughed out LOUD when I read that about the chair! One positive thing, however, is that you have now topped the HORRIBLE weekend ministry team we went on with Paul and Greg Hasseloff when those kids were ripping the weaves out of each other's hair all night and farting during the sermon. That, too, is a good memory. You falling out of the chair and the memory of that weekend have just made my morning, so thank you! :) Love to you both!

Anonymous said...

I miss you guys so much, I was looking at your blog and it just made me want to laugh and cry at the same time...especially this page...what a weekend! I just wanted to say what a blessing you are to me and to NLCH, you have made an impact on my life that I could never thank you enough for!!