www.flickr.com

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Briefly back in the U.S.

A few years ago, Daniel sang "I Can Only Imagine" at my grandma's funeral. After the service, my grandpa pulled Daniel aside and asked him if he would sing at his funeral. Last year we were sad when Daniel's Grandpa Tom died that we were not able to return and be with that side of the family, so on Saturday when we found out how ill my grandpa was we decided that if it became possible for us to get back, we wanted to return to the U.S. to honor this request as well as to honor my grandpa's life.

We left the children's home at 4 am on Sunday morning and had a very long day of travel due to some delays. We arrived in St. Louis a little after 7 pm. My grandpa had been in a semi-coma all day and unresponsive. Daniel and I had some time alone with him -- a neat time that I will always remember where we each stood on either side of his bed, holding his hands and prayed and talked with him. Later, my grandpa opened his eyes, looked directly at me and moved his chin as if trying to say something. For me, that was such a blessing and a gift that I am very thankful for. I was able to tell him how much I love him and how much he means to me. He passed away only a few hours later, having seen each of his children and grandchildren. I am so thankful that God provided a way for us to return and at just the right time to say goodbye.

Because there are other out of town family members, the funeral will not be held until Saturday. Daniel will be singing "I Can Only Imagine." It is a sad time since my grandpa was my last remaining grandparent, but also a time of rejoicing because each of us have so many great memories of him and know that he was very ready to go and be reunited with his Savior and so many loved ones and friends.

Daniel and I will return to Guatemala on a 6:20 am (yuck!!) flight on Monday morning.

If you are interested, please see my sister's blog for a great picture tribute to my grandpa: www.kjohnsonfamily.blogspot.com. The link is also on the right side of this page under family links (The Johnson Journal: Krista).

2 comments:

Home of Harris said...

I am so sorry to hear about your grandfather. I know you will have a sweet time with your family and we will be praying for you all.

Anonymous said...

We are sorry for your loss. Be safe.
Wes & Karis