www.flickr.com

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Not Always Rose-Colored

These past few days have been a little rough emotionally for me and I am not exactly sure why. I think that it is mainly because this Thursday we will reach the sixth month mark of living in Guatemala. I thought that this would be an exciting day of celebration and that I might say something like “Hooray! Let’s celebrate this milestone with a cheeseburger at McDonalds.” However, as the day approaches, I find myself in a bit of mild depression.

If you would have asked me before we came how I thought things would be in six months, I would probably have responded that we would be fluent in Spanish and accustomed to life in Guatemala. Sure, we can get by with our Spanish now but we are nowhere near fluent. I still struggle in practically every conversation. And while I like many things about Guatemala, it is still very foreign and I much prefer home. Many of our posts on the blog and articles in our newsletter updates are about how excited we are to work with the children and how thankful we are to be here. I want to be honest that there are other days when I really don’t feel that way at all. If you asked me today if I wanted to go spend time with the children or go back home for a visit, I would definitely choose to go home.

Six months is a long time. Not to state the obvious but… half a year! I miss little things like going to friends’ houses, drinking sweet tea from Chick-Fil-A, and wearing a winter coat. I think most of all I miss my sister. It has been more than six months since I have seen her and I just want to hug her and sit and talk together for awhile.

I feel guilty for having these feelings. I know that we have been given a tremendous opportunity and I should not take it for granted. We have been so blessed and I shouldn’t lose sight of that. But for today, everything is not rose-colored.

5 comments:

kjohnsons said...

I miss you too little sister! I was at Bible Study this morning and God placed it on my heart to ask a prayer request for you. He must have known how you were feeling today. Hang in there! I am so proud of you and what you are doing. I love you!!

BLOG DOG said...

Kara, thanks for sharing so much of your heart! I will continue to pray for you as you continue to adjust. I can't offer much but please be encouraged in knowing that God is in control and the spanish WILL come! See you in 40 days or so. Paul

Dad and Mom Harris said...

harrisranchco@earthlink.netKara,
I could not read your entire message last night, when we got in fron the basketball game. I started crying. You touched the sore spot in my heart. I did finish it this morning. I am reminded of haw many of David's Psalms start out angry, depressed, but before the Psalm is complete, you can see where the Holy Spirit comes and lifts him up. That is my prayer for you. I wish my arms could reach that far. "I am not, but I know I AM." Mom Harris

Anonymous said...

Kara, Be encouraged. I am so glad you shared your heart. It is only then , once we have said how we feel out loud that we can move on a bit. It is also how all of us know just how to lift you and Daniel up to our sweet Father. We love you and we are praying for you!
Love Tiffany

Anonymous said...

Daniel & Kara, I pray that God will encourage you by giving you peace and knowing you are doing His will. Just know that you both are loved by so many of us here in Missouri and look forward to hearing news of your journey. May His Spirit fill you to overflowing and may He keep you both safe. Love, Sam & Jeanette.