www.flickr.com

Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Road Experiences

Every day that we drive in Guatemala is an adventure. Yesterday I was driving and got a good laugh out of two signs that I passed. The first one, pictured above, is right in front of railroad tracks and translates, "The train always has the right of way... even if the light is green." Good tip. The other laugh was as I passed the sign for St. Peter's Liquor Shop.

Today was an adventure of a different kind... Kara and I were on the way back from Guatemala City in our car, driving on one of the main highways out of the city. We were driving along in the left lane, so as to not get stuck behind the buses, and I had my hand on the gear shift when all of the sudden we heard a boom and the gear shift fell about a foot.

On such a busy road it was pretty miraculous that we were able to get off of the road easily and pull into a gas station since the car was still in gear. When we looked underneath the car, we could see that the brace that supports the shaft had come undone, and that's what we heard hit the pavement.

Yikes.

4 comments:

kjohnsons said...

Oh my goodness! I'm so glad that you guys are ok. It looks a little rusty under that car. Were they able to fix it?

Amy Tiemeier said...

Praise God that you were able to get off the highway safely and that nothing more serious happened. I am continually grateful for his protection over you!

Kara said...

We just got a call from the shop saying that the car is ready and there will be no charge! Hooray! Afterall, it was their fault, so I am glad they didn't charge us for the repair. This was only the second time that we had driven the car since we had it at that shop for clutch work. The man on the phone said someone forgot to "thread something through." Oops! That sure was scary yesterday!

Kara said...

Thanks, Amy! I am too! It really couldn't have happened at a better place and time -- when we were going slow and could get off the road and into a gas station easily. I can't imagine if it had happened just 3 minutes earlier as we were on the central highway out of the city going a normal highway speed!