www.flickr.com

Thursday, October 09, 2008

Filling in the Gaps

I promised before Ethan's arrival to write about the month that we were away from the blog from the time that we left NLCH to the time that we moved to Texas. Since Ethan is asleep right now, I am going to make my first attempt.

Very (very!) early in the morning on June 27th, we left NLCH. We were so touched that Lee, Staci, and the summer interns all got up to see us off and that Kendon drove us to the airport.

The night before, the kids and staff had a special goodbye service for us following dinner in the dining hall. Here are some pictures from the night:

The evening started with a birthday surprise for Daniel (he turned 30 on June 28th-- two days after we left NLCH) of singing, fireworks and a delicious chocolate cake.
We really appreciated Staci putting together a slideshow of pictures taken during our time at NLCH. As I watched the slideshow, it just seem surreal. I couldn't believe that we were really leaving the next morning and that two years had already passed. The slideshow was followed by a dance performed by a group of the younger girls. We were glad to get some last minute time holding Genesis and Michelle.
Several of the kids shared goodbye messages. Then we were surprised by many of the older kids that participated in our discipleship groups. They gave us a small pot with a candle in it. Then they turned out the lights and a beautiful song about sending out the light came on. One by one they came by, lit a candle from ours and told us special memories of our time together. Then they all surrounded us for prayer. As I looked around at each of their faces illuminated in the candlelight, I knew that moment was a time that I would never forget and one of those precious memories that you guard in your heart as sacred. I was struck by the depth of love that I had for them and gratitude to God for allowing me to know them. That moment to me seemed like just a tiny glimpse of what Heaven will be like.
Kendon and Wendy presented us with a beautiful ceramic wall plague that says "The Harris Family" for our new home. I love it! Right now I have it sitting in the entertainment center in our living room. I want to hang it outside the house but I am not sure what to hang it with and I am afraid of it falling down and breaking in these Texas winds.
We also received a very neat scrapbook that the interns graciously put together for us. I wanted to give each of the kids a special treat so I made ice cream sandwiches for them (chocolate chip cookies and vanilla ice cream with mini chocolate chips around the outside).
Even Michelle got to have one, although it was about as big as her face and I don't think she really liked it.
The night ended with all of the kids and staff surrounding us, laying on hands and praying for us. I knew this would be part of the evening because we always do this the night before teams leave. It is always a touching and emotional time. I knew it would be hard for me and that I would most likely be very emotional during this closing time. However, if you click on this picture and enlarge it, you can see nine year-old Sammy smelling my hair. Throughout the prayer, I could hear and feel him sniffing my head and he said several times "Que rico" (how delicious). That was a good distraction and made me laugh, preventing me from being too sad. So, I am thankful for the blessing of Sammy's comic relief in that moment!

No comments: