www.flickr.com

Sunday, August 27, 2006

Herbert

We have a cockroach that lives in a small hole in our shower. I discovered him as we stared at each other face to face, his antennae twitching and protruding from the hole, as I was washing my hair. Needless to say, I was not very happy to see him, especially since there was only about four inches between us. After repeated encounters with him, I decided to name him Herbert, in the hope that by personalizing him I will not be as afraid of him. This morning, I discovered a roach lying belly-up on the floor of our shower. For a brief moment, I was sad thinking that it was Herbert. However, I then noticed the familiar twitching antennae sticking out of the hole. What would showers be like without Herbert?

4 comments:

kjohnsons said...

Keith is a little worried about you Kara. He wants you to let us know right away if Herbert starts having conversations with you.

faceunveiled said...

What is it about showers that cockroaches like so much? We have a cockroach who lives in our tub ... he lives in the overflowdrain and his little antennae always stick out, flaunting his presence!

It's funny how after a while we learn that it's just easier to "be ok" with all these creatures! (..as opposed to freaking out and running around the house desperately looking for the roach spray!)

Anonymous said...

Kara, did our Heavenly Father forget to tell you about the possibility of meeting Herberts along the way, no matter whether in Guatemala, Texas, Missouri, or Georgia? Perhaps you just didn't hear Him; now you know!!!! Betty Noland

Anonymous said...

Hi Kara,

I'll never forget the time we were in Okinawa. I was getting dressed one morning to discover that the top that I had put on had a friend inside of it. Needless to say, it ran out and down the crack in the floor before I could even scream.
They are pesky little things. The ones in Japan are very big. To this day, I can't kill them nor can I clean up dead ones. Yuck!