www.flickr.com

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Today is the Day!!!

It is now after 1 am and we leave for the airport in less than 3 hours ... I can't sleep. I am sitting here reflecting on what this day means. I thought that I might feel sad or scared when this day arrived. Surprisingly though, I am very happy and excited.

Since this adventure already seems like it has been a long time in the making, I thought I could use a reminder of why we are going to Guatemala. I started reading some of the entries in my prayer journal (which I must admit, I am not too consistent in keeping). I want to share an excerpt of one of my first entries about Guatemala. It was on December 1, 2005: "I feel that I am at a crossroad and this is an extremely important time in the course of my life. Do I really believe in you, Lord? Do I trust you? Do I believe that there is more to you than I know right now? Will I follow you even if what you are asking me to do doesn't make a lot of sense? I could be happy and content working, raising children, believing in you, reading my Bible and attending church. I could be content with a mediocre relationship with you -- but could it be that there is something so much greater that you desire and offer? What would it be like to step out and fully trust you, Lord -- to see who you really are, to fully devote two years to you not really knowing why or what you plan to do, to fully trust you when others think that we are crazy, when we think that we are crazy, when the many doubts set in? How can we be sure that it is you leading? -- and yet, we continually end up back at this point where somehow we know that for some reason this is right for us. May you give us the courage to face what lies ahead. We desire you, Lord. Your way is not always easy but we want to follow it. We want to take the chance to experience and search for what could be -- to dare to think that you really do offer more than I so easily settle for."

Thank you for accompanying us on this journey! May you experience more of God today than you thought possible.

I hope to post again later today ... from Guatemala!

1 comment:

-Matt said...

Truly you guys have a huge faith. You and Daniel are embarking on something I'm sure I'm not strong enough to do right now. The world will be a better place for the sacrifice you are making. I love both of you and I pray God will use you to the fullest and keep you safe as you affect lives in Guatemala.

-Matt (and I'm sure Emily would approve this message also)