www.flickr.com

Friday, August 11, 2006

Starting Off With a Bang

Today Daniel and I were both diagnosed with amoebas and an intestinal infection. We certainly didn't waste any time! We are trying to keep a positive attitude about this or I may just start crying and want to catch the first plane home. The last 24 hours have not been enjoyable but things are starting to get much better. Thankfully, Wendy (one of the missionaries) is a nurse and she is taking excellent care of us. We were both started on two medications this afternoon that should be pretty fast-acting. I sure hope so!

Yesterday, Daniel and I took a trip into Guatemala City with Wendy to purchase some things for the new girls' dorm. On the return ride, I started feeling sick. Last night I began throwing up (and the other stuff -- can I say diarrhea on here?! Oh well, why not. I might as well be as honest as possible on our blog) so many times that I lost count. At one point I was lying on the floor with my head in Daniel's lap and he covered me with the prayer blanket that we received from our home church. In that moment, I could feel the prayers of our family and friends and I can't tell you how much of a comfort that was! Daniel took wonderful care of me -- getting me water, cold rags, and rubbing my back. There is nothing like vomiting and diarrhea to make a marriage stronger!

At 3:30 AM, Daniel started having fever and nausea. Thankfully, he has not yet experienced the other stuff -- just feeling low energy and nausea. We are so thankful that there is a clinic and doctor on site so that we could be tested promptly and begin the medication. Wendy assures us that the first time that you get this is the worst and subsequent times are much better. Although, I certainly hope that we don't have any subsequent times!

We sure would appreciate your prayers for a speedy recovery and tolerance of the medication. We had to take five pills at once today; my sensitive stomach does not appreciate that very much.

Thanks be to God for caring people to take care of us, provision of medication, His comforting presence with us, and the prayers of our loved ones!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Get well soon!!!!!