www.flickr.com

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

My Parents' Visit


We apologize for not posting anything new on the blog in the past week but we were enjoying spending time with my parents. They arrived last Wednesday evening and left this morning. We had a wonderful week together! Before they came, I prayed fervently for safe travel, for all of their luggage to arrive, for good weather and health, and for them to enjoy their time here. It seems that all of my prayers were answered and they are already thinking about a return visit. Hooray!!

Last Wednesday, Daniel and I met my parents at the airport in Guatemala City and we all stayed at a downtown hotel that night since their flight arrived late in the evening. They arrived with four huge duffle bags and two smaller ones, most of which were crammed with all kinds of wonderful treats from home for us. It is amazing how exciting it can be to see American toothpaste, shampoo, and candy. The picture on the right shows us surrounded by all of the things that they brought. Wow!... I couldn't believe all of the things that they fit in those bags -- they even brought a large block of Velveeta cheese, cans of chicken and some delicious homemade cookies. I don't think that I will need to go to the store for the remainder of our two-year term here!

On Thursday, we made a quick trip by the children's home for them to drop off some of their extra luggage and then we went on to Antigua where we spent the next two nights. Daniel and I had a lot of fun showing them the city and the places we frequent the most there -- the language school, our host family's home, central park, the grocery store and of course McDonald's! We also made two trips to the local market, much to Daniel's displeasure. After Daniel and I came down with yet another round of parasites, my parents even took a third trip to the market by themselves. I was proud of their adventurous spirit and their attempts to communicate in Spanish. I was also glad that my parents did not get the parasites and that Daniel and I were near a lab so that we could be tested and treated very quickly. By Saturday, we were feeling much better so they (the parasites) didn't interfere too much with our visit.

Saturday afternoon we returned to the children's home and spent the next three days there. I was surprised when, upon seeing my dad for the first time, a group of the youngest boys immediately ran up to him and gave him big hugs. Then one of them called him Santa Claus and started patting his stomach. I guess they still had Christmas on their minds.

My parents got to spend a lot of time with the kids and even rode the school bus with them to church on Sunday morning. My dad impressed the kids with some juggling tricks at dinner one night (see picture on right). We rang in the new year playing games at our directors' home. At midnight, we watched from the top of the school building as fireworks exploded in every direction. Once again, it seemed as if every family in Guatemala was setting off fireworks at the same time. Both of my parents stated several times that they had never seen anything like that! That is exactly how I felt on Christmas Eve here.

On New Years' Day, my parents helped prepare turkey and rice for the kids. They then helped serve the meal and in the process my mom learned some new words in Spanish.... servieta (napkin) and postre (cake), which she had to repeat about 50 times as each of the children and the workers came through the serving line. The youngest kids quickly became attached to my parents and were oblivious to the fact that they didn't speak Spanish. They just enjoyed the attention, playing with my dad's glasses, and holding their hands.

Yesterday, we returned to Guatemala City and enjoyed walking around Zone 10 in the afternoon. Daniel and I experienced reverse culture shock as we ate at a T.J.I. Friday's and an Applebee's. It was just like being back in the States... except of course for the Spanish menus and conversations. We stayed in a hotel downtown since my parents needed to leave for the airport at 6 am this morning.

I just spoke with them and they (and their luggage) arrived back home safely. They were already showing pictures to my sister. I am feeling a little sad now that they are gone; I quickly became accustomed to seeing them every day during the past week! It is also sad because I most likely will not see them again until Daniel and I make a trip to the U.S. next fall. I am so thankful that they made the trip down here and that now they can know first-hand what we are experiencing here and the blessing that these children are to our lives.

4 comments:

kjohnsons said...

Sounds like you all had a wonderful time! Wish we could have been there with you all. I never thought of Dad as Santa before. That was funny!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to hear your parents visit went well. I did chuckle at the Santa story. I guess I will have to be a good boy when I'm around Tim this year.....no more errors playing softball!

Take care!

Anonymous said...

Of course you enjoyed your parents' visit! Who wouldn't enjoy them anywhere, anytime! They are wonderful. And, thanks to you, Daniel and Kara for all the good things you are doing for the kids in Guatemala. Happy New Year!
Mary Lou Hite

Betsy W. said...

Kara...I am so glad to see your parents came to visit! How wonderful that they could experience your life in Guatemala. Really enjoyed the stories and pictures...and especially the Feliz Navidad video! Ask Emily to share her Feliz Navidad video with you someday...she does a great dance to the much-loved song! :-)NOT!
Take care...Happy New Year to both of you and hug the kids for us!