www.flickr.com

Thursday, January 25, 2007

Security or Scary?

My sister told me that she was tired of seeing the gross hotdog picture and wanted me to put something new on the blog. There is not too much blog-worthy happening right now... just the normal routine of school and black beans.

I did find this picture of soldiers that I took a few months ago. I think that the slogan for Guatemala should be "we love fireworks and guns!" Everywhere you look, there are guards with guns -- the central park, pharmacies, banks, most commercial trucks (even the ice cream truck!). In McDonald's, a guard with a big gun, stands right next to Ronald McDonald... possibly his bodyguard?

The soldiers (pictured above) are part of a big group that patrol the streets. They are more intimidating to me than the other guards because they always have their finger on the trigger. It seems like they are just looking for a reason to shoot. I will say that they were very nice and friendly when I asked if I could take a picture of them. I am glad that question didn't provide them with a good reason to shoot!

No comments: