www.flickr.com

Friday, June 15, 2007

Sports Channels

When it comes down to it I realize the insignificance of this, but it still had me frustrated this past week:

Anyone who knows me very well knows that I am a pretty big sports fan. I have my favorite college teams, and favorite teams in each professional sport. I love the New York Yankees, I love the Dallas Cowboys, and I really, really love the San Antonio Spurs. I guess partly because I know basketball better than the other sports, but as much as I like my favorite teams in other sports, the Spurs top them all. This isn't anything new- I was a Spurs fan since David Robinson came along- long before any of the championships.

So you can imagine how excited I was as they made their run through the playoffs this year and made it to the finals. So far, we have done pretty well with being able to see the major sports events on TV, with the only drawback normally being that the commentary is in Spanish. We got to watch the Super Bowl, Kara got to watch her Cardinals win the World Series, and I also got to see most of the NCAA Tournament. Also considering that many of the NBA playoff games had been broadcast here, I assumed that I would have no trouble being able to watch my beloved Spurs in the finals.

I was severely disappointed to find out that whoever is in charge of ESPN and Fox Sports in Latin America thought that it would be better to show other things (like lots of soccer, of course) instead of the Finals games. For example- here is what the three channels who have broadcast the other major games had on last night when the Spurs won the championship:
  • Under 21 Soccer: Czech Republic vs. Serbia
  • Mexican League Baseball: Quintana Roo Tigers vs. Monterrey Sultans
  • Boxing (Don't know who)
It took me until game 4 to find out that I could at least listen to the games online. So as the Spurs won last night, I was standing in our living room in front of the computer screen, not being able to see any of it, but doing my best to enjoy the moment.

I guess I had better either get used to this, or start rooting for the Czechs or Serbians.

No comments: