www.flickr.com

Tuesday, June 12, 2007

When is my Birthday?

The other day, I was talking with some of the little boys and ten year-old Javier (one of our newest two boys) asked me, "when is my birthday?" I thought it was a trivia question, so I played along. I said, "um ...." (paused a few seconds like I was really trying to think) and then said, "I don't know, when is it?" He looked at me with such an innocent face and replied, "I don't know." A pain shot through my heart as the realization sunk in that he really had no idea when his birthday is. I quickly told him that I didn't know but would go check the calendar and come right back and tell him. I explained the situation to Kendon and he told me that sadly, many of the children that come here, especially if they are from an indigenous background, do not know their birthdays and have never celebrated them. It was an impacting time for me to go back and tell Javier that his birthday is July 8th, to see him smile broadly and repeat the date. Oh, how much I take for granted!

1 comment:

Rosemary said...

Kara, that was a sweet and sorta sad story. Is there a way I can see all the kids that are at the Childrens' Home now? We have info sheets on Salomon and Ramsis, but I would like to see the others. We also have some info on the interviews that Kendon does once a month. Miss ya and we're praying for you and Daniel as you sub for Kendon & Wendy.