www.flickr.com

Monday, September 10, 2007

Anniversary Trip

Daniel asked me to do the post about our anniversary trip. After he reads this, I think he will regret doing that. For those of you who don't want to read a long, sappy message, consider this your warning and just look at the pictures and move on.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I went on this trip wanting time to sit and think and regain perspective. I am thankful that we had a lot of thinking time while we were away. It was the perfect time to go to the Guatemalan coast because it was during the work week and school year. On our last morning there, we sat on the beach for several hours and as far as we could see in both directions, it was just the lifeguard and us. It was almost eerie but wonderful!

I thought that during my thinking time, I would realize how I was taking God's presence, the children at NLCH, and our opportunity to live in Guatemala for granted. While this is true, I was already aware of that before the trip. What really stood out to me was how much I take Daniel for granted.

During our wedding, our pastor said something that has always stuck with me. He said that he prayed that one day, many years from now, we would be able to look at each other and say that we knew the Lord better because we always saw Him in each other. I am sad to admit how little my attitude, actions, and thoughts resemble the Lord's on a daily basis and yet I remember this line from our wedding and it makes me think of Daniel. He continually represents Christ and His unconditional love for me as no one else ever has. When I am moody and irritable to the point where I don't even enjoy being around myself (now that's bad!) he continues to love me, stays by my side and somehow sees the very best in me. I can't explain that kind of love and I know that it only comes from the Lord. I realize that there are a lot of wives who are not able to say that through their husband's character and nature that they know the Lord better, but I honestly can. What an amazing an undeserved gift the Lord has given me these past six years! I am so thankful that the more time that I spend with Daniel, the more that I learn about him, the more that I love and respect him.

I could certainly write a lot more but I will end there. Daniel is going to hate this post enough already. :) Here are few pictures from the trip:

Anniversary dinner in AntiguaWe shared a dessert -- good thing we were already full. It was pretty but was only about one bite each.
The waves were really big (the beach had a red flag the entire time we were there). So, we just stuck our feet in the ocean and enjoyed watching it instead of swimming in it.

1 comment:

kjohnsons said...

I always knew I had a great brother-in-law but this was a nice post to read. Thanks for sharing! God is so good!