www.flickr.com

Sunday, September 16, 2007

More Information

We want to share some additional information with you that clears up some unintentional rumors/errors that were reported before. We now have more of the facts. An autopsy was performed on Chepe's body and it was discovered that he did not have any water in his lungs, which means that he did not drown. He died of a heart attack. This came as a shock to us all. How could a seventeen year-old die of a heart attack? It must have been a sudden, massive heart attack. Chepe's mother said tonight that he was born with a heart condition but she never told Kendon and Wendy about it. About five or six years ago, Chepe complained of some chest pains so Wendy to him to see a cardiologist. The doctor said everything was fine and Chepe never complained of chest pains again.

Although this in no way diminishes the grief, I pray that these new findings will help alleviate some of the guilt that the homeparents and others who accompanied him on the trip yesterday are experiencing.

We just returned from the visitation which is being held at NLCH, in the teacher's lounge of the school. His closed casket is surrounded by flowers, a few candles, and some pictures of him. Some of the kids made a large collage of pictures and also many cards which decorated the walls. Students, teachers, friends, and many from the community have come to show support. It is the custom here for someone to stay with the casket all night so a vigil will be held throughout the night.

The funeral service will be held here tomorrow morning at 10 am. After the completion of the service, we will walk to a nearby cemetery for burial. I have been told that it is the custom here to stay as the casket is lowered into the ground, so please pray for this time, as I know it will be extremely difficult for the children to watch.

It may seem strange or morbid to post pictures on here of his casket, but I know many of you are grieving with us, have met Chepe, and wish you could be here for support. Therefore, I wanted to share pictures to help you feel a little more apart of what is going on here and hopefully help with your closure and grieving process.

Black cloths were hung on the front gate with the signs pictured below.

Signs announcing that school will be canceled tomorrow and Tuesday due to the death of a student and that the viewing would be held in the teachers' lounge.

Visitors waiting outside the teachers' lounge.

The casket with Chepe's picture on top and surrounded by flowers.

Chepe & Juan's mother.

Juan (Chepe's brother) and Daniel (one of the boys from the home).

Sylvia (the NLCH social worker), Kendon, Wendy, and Sylvia (the school principal)

7 comments:

kjohnsons said...

We were so sorry to hear about this tragedy. Please know that you and in our thoughts and prayers today. We love you!

Unknown said...

I want to thank you for your blog and your updates. I was a short term social work intern at the Home in 2003 and remember Chepe and all of the kids very well. The pictures make the me feel very connected to what is occuring at NLCH right now... I am praying for you all today and will continue to do so in the days to come. Que Dios les bendiga mucho!!!

Elina Mueller said...

Dear Kara and Daniel,
Thank you so much for posting the updates and pictures. It has been hard to be so far away, but your blog as well as Kendon's email updates have been helpful.

Anonymous said...

Kara and Daniel,
Our prayers are with you. I (Priscilla) was listening to this song ( "He will carry me" by Mark Schultz) earlier and it made me think of you. I hope it encourages you during this difficult time.

-Kurt and Priscilla Johnson

I call, You hear me
I've lost it all
And it's more than I can bear
I feel so empty

You're strong, I'm weary
I'm holding on
But I feel like giving in
But still You're with me

Chorus:
And even though I'm walking
Through the valley of the shadow
I will hold tight to the hand of Him
Whose love will comfort me
And when all hope is gone
And I've been wounded in the battle
He is all the strength that I will ever need
He will carry me

I know I'm broken
But You alone
Can mend this heart of mine
You're always with me

Anonymous said...

i am praying for you guys. I love you and see you in november!

A Konzelman said...

Daniel & Kara,
Aaron and I are so sad to hear of Chepe's death. We are with you in spirit and are praying for healing and comfort for the whole family and NLCH. We love you guys!

Amanda

Lisa (the girls' moma) said...

I'm sure the information about the heart attack, while really sad and surprising, was a relief to those poor houseparents and the other older kids. I pray that they will be relieved of guilt and be able to mourn properly.

Lisa